Sunday, June 12, 2011

I am a sucker for food magazines. It's my splurge after exams to go and get the latest issue of bon appetit or saveur (in the past I was a strict gourmet connoisseur RIP).  This last month's issue featured Gweneth Paltrow as if I needed something so unappetizing on the cover.

The feature story was about Fergus Henderson; the one who pioneered the recent nose-to-tail movement in restaurants (aka why you are craving bone marrow suddenly). Anyways, it was about traditional sunday lunch, and only one photo in to it, I was hooked.

Radishes.

Radishes with salt and butter.

Luckily, the farmers market opened here for the season in NW at a new location on 19th and Everett. So local french radishes were mine.




We cut out the middle man, butter, and went straight for radishes with Cyprus flake salt. It may be the most simple and radically satisfying appetizer ever. The best part about buying them from a market is the greens are actually edible. I made them into a simple salad tossed with a Dijon vinaigrette.
Even the boyfriend (who hates bitter greens) liked them.

Now I just need to get my hands on some bone marrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment